Saturday 24 December 2016

Back from Respray

Apart from cleaning and servicing the various components that came of the car during the strip down it has been a rather quite 6 months while the TR has been in for respray.
You may say 6 months is a long time, but I knew the summer was going to be busy at home so I said that the guys at Cartech in Kenilworth could take their time!

I have always thought that choosing to respray a car, although a great thing to do, always opens a hole load of cans of worms. For example, do you strip the car back to bare metal or do you leave the old paint be? The former means that you truly know what is underneath and the lines seem sharper, the latter is easier and cheaper. In the past I have always done bare metal resprays, but this time I decided not to as I didn't have the time to strip off all the paint. You also have to choose the colour of the car and what paint, solid or something with a clear coat on top. For a while I fancied a change to something like gunmetal grey, but eventually I decided to go with the original pimento, solid with no clear coat. The reasoning being that I liked the idea of keeping it factory and clear coated cars seemed too glossy. Anyhow off the car went on the back of a low loader.


Around November the spray guys started the work. They seemed to be much more sensitive to panel shape and found a whole load of minor dents that I couldn't even see. First to be sorted were the outer panels.
Which were then put into primer.

The rear wings where then mounted on the body and aligned. The chaps were a little concerned about how to get the alignment right and ended up talking to people in the states with expertise in rebuilding TRs. In the end to my untrained eye they got a pretty good result.
Then the body was primered and flatted back


And finally the topcoat was applied (now the car was looking great!)


The body shop then suggested that they deliver the car back to me to allow me to assemble it. From experience they new that often the bodywork gets the odd chip during reassembly. They then want the car back to sort any chips, paint the rear panel black and give the paint its final polish.
So the car duly returned on another low loader.


Now my job begins.. putting everything back on the car!

No comments:

Post a Comment