Sunday 21 December 2014

Heading off.

Ok so as the camshaft had to come out I also had to take the head off. I knew that he head had been off in 1988 but not since so as ever there was a worry about whether it would come off cleanly.
Firstly I removed the nuts holding the rocker gear down and removed it. I then removed the pushrods and kept them in order push through a piece of card.
Close examination of the rocker tips (see above) showed bad wear so will need some new gear. Next I undid the bolts holding the water pump housing to the head, these came undone easily and with some encouragement from a copper faced hammer the pump housing came off. Finally the nuts holding the head down were removed in the spiral pattern shown in the brown book. I then tapped around the edge of the head with the same hammer to loosen the head and lifted it off with the engine crane. The bores of the engine looked good, no sign of a wear ridge (see below).






No comments:

Post a Comment